Thursday, January 14, 2010

Saturdays

I have been told I have an interesting perspective when looking at time. Some call it unique - others shake their heads and roll their eyes.

I divide my life into Saturdays.

Silly? Yes. Effective and grounding? Absolutely.

Weeks seem to go so fast, and the weekends - those precious two days that I get to spend with my kids and husband all together - seem to fly by at break-neck speed. Weekends are when we plan to get stuff done that we couldn't do during the week. They are the default days to catch-up, to say "Oh, drat - I'll do it this weekend". So, I count Saturdays to help me digest time.

For instance, there are only 49 more Saturdays to get all my Christmas shopping done. Only five more Saturdays until my baby girl turns two. Alex turns five in only 14 more Saturdays. You get the idea.

My friend Erin asked me how many Saturdays until we are done with treatment. I hadn't even thought about it before that moment.

Cancer seemed never-ending, and something that I couldn't even divide into Saturdays. It's something that we deal with every day. There is no "I'll deal with Chemo this weekend", we are forced to battle this disease EVERY DAY.

So, I took a moment and looked it up. There are only 61 more Saturdays until Alex is projected to finish his Chemotherapy. How exciting! But, wait - I decided to break it up even more. Only 15 more steroid cycles. Only 15 more IV Chemo pushes. Only five more back pokes.

Wow. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel tonight for the first time. It's faint, but it's there if I squint a little. Every Saturday takes us one step closer to the end of treatment. We still have about 430 days left of oral Chemo, but being able to count Saturdays until he is done really helps put it all in perspective for me.

Thank you for the reminder Erin. It really helped!

1 comment: