Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's Not Fair

Yes, I know...life isn't fair. But why does cancer have to hit so hard below the belt?

One of the boys that we met at Camp Agape in 2009 is loosing his battle with his third recurrence of Ewings Sarcoma - a vicious cancer. In the middle of fighting those battles, he also fought (and won!) a battle with AML (a leukemia brought on my the treatment for Ewings).

His battle has been fierce, starting at age 3. Now at age 9, his parents have just signed the paperwork for Hospice care. The agony in their hearts is palpable through the computer monitor, as I read their words with a face drenched in tears.

I do not know their family well, gleaning most of my familiarity through their heart-felt words in his CaringBridge website. But, our hearts are connected through the love of our children, and the terror of fighting the wretched disease.

This heartbreaking update to Gage's condition comes in the same week as news of another amazing kid from our 2009 Camp Agape trip, suffered a relapse himself. I'm sure his family is gearing up for their next cancer battle.

My heart is breaking for both Gage and Josh's families.

As we near the end of Alex's active treatment, I am reminded that we will never fully escape cancer's grasp. The fear of relapse will always be in this mother's heart. I can push it down, I can shove it to the side, but I will never be rid of it.

Ever.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any words...I'm just sitting here in tears. You're right; it doesn't seem fair. All we can do is continue to move forward in life, hoping and fighting for the best for our own kids. Every child should get a chance to grow to adulthood. Anything less just seems like a story half-read. My heart goes out to these families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog spoke to me very much!..my mother has skin cancer..I wish the best for Alex to get better! And im sure that he will :-)

    p.s He looks like my nephew Callum

    ReplyDelete