Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Warriors 4 Alex

On Saturday, we walked for Alex, we walked to help raise money for a cure for blood cancers.

We walked with over 60 Warriors. It was a great night...


I had the honor of talking about Alex, and our struggles. I was nervous, but think I said all I had in my notes. I was humbled to see how many people were there.

I was surprised that the MC for the night was Jolynn Winter, who used to be our neighbor. She knew of Alex's original diagnosis, but did not realize that he was the same Alex that was the honored hero for this year's Light The Night.  Her heartfelt introduction before my short speech meant a lot to me.

Alaska Airlines gave us some wrist bands that said "Won't Back Down" on them, and we were very touched that they thought so much of our boy. Another team, the Myeloma Mashers is working with our team captain, Melissa on a fundraiser to finish off the fundraising year. Even Dutch Bros. in Beaverton has joined in with a fundraising day for us later this month.

Eric and Alex stayed up at Doerenbecher, while Tessa and I joined the rest of the walkers at the convention center. I really missed both of them. Alex was really upset that he couldn't go. However, Eric got permission for Alex to leave the ward so he could see the fireworks!

The rain stayed away, and we enjoyed a beautiful night, with a fireworks show. Tessa LOVED the fireworks. We even got to lead the walk, and started with Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down" - Alex's battle cry.

I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with many of the people who came for the walk. I wish that I had time to properly thank ALL of you for your dedication, and support of our family.

I treasure the memory of that night, and will be back next year, with Alex and Eric joining us.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you to our whole team! Without all of your support and dedication, we wouldn't be where we are in terms of fundraising! October 24 (Monday) Dutch Bros will be donating proceeds to our team. Then on November 5th (Saturday) we will have another Zumba fundraiser at Hardcore Gym in Aloha!

    Without people's participation, we would be a team of Champions for Cures! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    Melissa
    Team Captain and Warrior 4 Alex

    ReplyDelete