Monday, April 5, 2010

Sleepy Alex

I'm sitting next to Alex who is asleep (well, unconscious) next to me. We had a clinic appointment today, and he had a Lumbar Puncture (LP) to inject more Methotrexate into his spinal fluid, and ultimately, his brain.

He *loves* the "sleepy-milk", which is what he calls the anesthesia medicine that the doctors inject into his Port. It puts him under quickly, leaving him limp in my arms within seconds of receiving the concoction.

His counts were down again today. His ANC was only 400. Low enough to stop his Mercaptapurine for the week. He *did* receive his Vincristine in his Port, and will start the Prednisone (steroid) this evening.

The doctors aren't sure why Alex's counts continue to drop at the 100% protocol, so next week, after checking counts again, they will put him on lower amounts, and *ever* so slowly increase the dose over 3 months. They aren't sure if he will be able to get to 100%. That really scares me, since the highest success rates for this protocol are at the 100% dosage levels. It is a true balancing act, and the doctors are doing everything they can to get him the most Chemo without reducing his counts to levels that risk his life.

My heart is aching for him. His little body has endured so much! I worry that with his counts so low, that he will get sick before his birthday party. Since his diagnosis, his birthdays have taken on even more meaning to me. "Take THAT cancer - we made it another year!"

He is sill out cold - it always takes him so long to "come out" of the sedation. I better go now, and see if I can wake my brave boy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that he (and you) have to go through any of this. You are all incredibly strong, and I believe with all my heart that we will be celebrating his last dose of chemo in just a year (how many Saturdays is that again?).

    love you!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am adding a dot on the visitor's map from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I think about Alex every day and hope he receives my good intentions for his complete recovery from so far away. I hope to see all of you soon in person on Alex's birthday. All my love, Grandpa Jim.

    ReplyDelete