Thursday, October 15, 2009

Flu Mist Update

I received a call from Doerenbecher today, updating their policy on the Flu Mist.

Due to the shortage of flu shots, and the prevalence of Flu Mist, both Doerenbecher and Emanuel Hospitals have been forced to alter their guidelines for their pediatric cancer patients. Alex can now go to school even when Flu Mist has been used.

I have been given additional instructions to keep Alex out of the classroom if his blood counts drop to a certain level.

It seems that there was a lot of confusion and frustration by some of the parents as to what was being asked of them. I never wanted their children to go unvaccinated. I just needed to know if they did the Mist so I could take the appropriate precautions for my child.

Having a child with cancer is the most terrifying ordeal I have ever encountered. We have a long road to recovery – 18 more months of daily Chemotherapy.

Thank you, and I express my deep appreciation for helping keep Alex safe. With all of the chaos that cancer has brought to our life, the simple act of going to school has been a huge chunk of normalcy back to his life.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Alex's health is number one, but I do have a question. How does the policy "just" change? I know as a parent and one that cares about Alex I would stick directly to what the doctor's have said, but did they say way it was OK now and not before the shortage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been a lot of debate going on with the doctors about it. His immediate family cannot get it, but it is impossible to keep everyone away from Alex who has or will get it. So, we just have to be even more vigilant, and if Alex is not feeling well AT ALL, or begins to have a fever, we need to report it immediately. Psychologically, it is so important for Alex to go to school, that it weighs into the decision that if his ANC is high enough (over 750), that he can go.

    ReplyDelete