Sunday, July 12, 2009

Friendship

I had a wonderful visit with a great friend today. Erin took me out for coffee (well, it was the Starbucks on the first floor of the hospital - but it still counts!).

I was able to escape the hospital room for a few hours, and enjoy laughing with a friend. After we said good-bye, and I started walking back to the hospital room, I realized that I felt taller (hey - no short jokes!). The weight of Alex's condition was lessened - because it was shared with a friend.

I also recognized that this is not the first time I have felt this relief. Our friends and family have helped distribute the weight of our troubles throughout this whole ordeal. From the crushing load of the initial diagnosis, through the endurance race of cancer treatment, our friends and family have carried us when neither of us thought we could go on. I cannot adequately express how much this means to our family. When people say "what can I do?" The very fact that they ask, helps us more than they will ever know.

Alex is in good spirits, and still doesn't have a fever (whew!). However, he still doesn't have an ANC number, so we can't come home yet. I am so proud of Alex, and how well he is doing cooped up in this little hospital room. He's a real trouper - and my hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment