Saturday, February 6, 2010

Monday At The Earliest

We met with the doctors, and per the protocol, we are here until at least Monday - Alex's counts need to show improvement, and he has to be fever free for 48 hours, with negative blood cultures (for bacterial infection).

His doctor feels that this is just a cold virus taking advantage of Alex's system - however, the strict protocols are in place for any possible flu.

While we are frustrated by our imprisonment, we truly understand why the procedures are in place. We know how quickly these kids can have a benign cold turn lethal.

I need to be more vigilant with the hand-sanitizer - keeping a bottle in my purse again - and encouraging even more hand-washing. I just hate putting him in an isolation "bubble" when he "feels" great - and has good energy - I have to remember that the amazing energetic boy is fighting such a hard battle, and sometimes we need to protect him a bit more when his counts are low. It sounds so easy, right?

I'm not going to beat myself up over this. I am trying to give our son the most "normal" life while wrestling with his cancer, and the side effects of the poison being injected and ingested into his little body.

So we welcome ourselves back to the hotel Doerenbecher - check out isn't until Monday at the earliest.

No comments:

Post a Comment