Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday Update

Yesterday Alex fell asleep at 4:30 - and soaked his bed with sweat. Dinnertime came and went, he slept right through it. Finally, and 10pm, I closed my computer, and put my head on my hospital grade pillow, pulling the thin blanket over my exhausted body. Moments later, the CNA rushed in to take Alex's vitals, and change his sheets, waking him up *completely*. My heavy eyelids could barely register my boy who was now bouncing on the bed - asking for his dinner.

I dragged myself up, and got his dinner. Then, I set up a movie for him, and crawled back to bed. Happy he was fever-free, but too tired to jump up and down about it.

Every 10 minutes, he needed something - "I need to pee", "Mom, the movie stopped", "Mom, I want another movie". It finally registered in my sleepy brain, that he wanted me to play with him - he was bored, and wide awake.

We hung out on the hospital bed for a while - then, I started to feel the heat coming off of his body again. His cheeks were flush, and he complained that he was tired. I called in the nurse, and the temperature was 101.3 at 2am. The nurse got him some Tylenol, and both Alex and I drifted off into a dead sleep.

We woke up this morning about 8am. A doctor came in, telling me that Alex couldn't eat today before his spinal tap. I said "nooooooo - he only gets a spinal tap every three months, and he had it only 4 weeks ago". The doctor double checked, and we were cleared to order breakfast.

We got word that the flu swab came back negative, which means Eric and I can leave the room to go to the cafeteria, but Alex's counts are still only 72, so he cannot leave the room.

Our window is showing nothing but blue sky. Alex just wants to go outside and play - it is just breaking my heart!

So, essentially nothing has changed - except that Alex doesn't have a fever this morning (crossing fingers and toes), so the clock has started again on 48 hours. Also, his ANC will need to show a marked improvement before they will let us all leave.

I am falling asleep as I write this, so I will say good-bye for now, and go take a quick nap...if Alex lets me!

2 comments:

  1. Sara:
    Gloria and I are thinking about Alex and hope that the next 48 hours are positive. Know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
    We will keep reading and hoping for the best.
    Love,
    Gloria and Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara dear:
    We are on pins and needles waiting to hear that Alex's important numbers are rising and the fever subsides. Hospital stays are hard enough for grownups but torture for a youngster..... and a mommy who needs to tend to many, many things at home. You all are dear to our hearts. God, please bring healing to our Alex and rest for Sara.
    Love you, Aunt Marsha and Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete