Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Crushed

Alex will have to miss the first week of preschool, because a child in his class is getting the flu mist on September 11th - only 3 days before school, and unfortunately, Alex cannot be around *anyone* who has had the flu mist vaccine for 7 days.

As a mother of an immunosuppressed child, I am frustrated, and terrified about this coming flu season.

Even though Alex will be getting the H1N1 flu shot, it isn't ready yet, so until then, Alex is so vulnerable to the flu - both the standard strain, and the H1N1.

I cannot find ANY documentation to show me that the flu mist is better than a shot - in fact, it seems like just a gimmick to me. Since kids already get "shots" in order to be enrolled in school, what is one more?!?! How many doctors ASK the parents if their child will be around an immuno-suppressed person, before they administer the flu mist?

I am crushed that Alex will have to miss his first week of school - something he has been looking forward to for a month now - I'm so mad that yet again, cancer is interfering with our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment