Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Too Close To Home

Eric came home on Monday, and told me that a friend's nephew had died from complications of Leukemia over the weekend. The complications began with a simple cold that turned into pneumonia, and his poor little body couldn't fight it off. There were tears in Eric's eyes, and a quiver in his voice as he told me the sad news. While Eric had never met this sweet child, the idea that cancer had robbed this poor boy and his family of his future had hit too close to home.

Our hearts ache for this family, and we can't help but think how easily this could be our story. This battle against blood cancer is fierce, and we cannot let our guard down. We also must remember the casualties of this war, and hope that our battle is successful. Not just for Alex, but for all children with cancer.

2 comments:

  1. How horribly sad. I'm so sorry for the other family's loss; I can't begin to imagine what they are going through. But I'm also angry. Death is always sad, but when it is a child it seems all the more so. It just feels so wrong, and NOT the natural order of life. Cancer sucks. I think it is also a reminder to all of us who love Alex that we need to stay vigilant and never take anything for granted. He is such a strong and vibrant little boy, and we need to do all we can to help keep him that way! Stay strong, Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is tough and I am not saying this lightly. When I read your post and the reaction from Eric,chills went through my body. I guess because you mentioned Alex in the scenario and I haven't let myself go in that direction. I see you guys and I see the joy of life in Alex and the strength of his will and body and I cant imagine him not beating this battle.
    I know I don't see him at his worst times, but I almost dont know if I could accept it or want to see the pain in his eyes or your or Eric's life.
    I am sorry for the loss of Eric's co-worker and I am very saddened with the suffering the family has gone through.

    Many loving thoughts and prayers to your family and Eric's co-workers.

    Trish

    ReplyDelete