Thursday, September 3, 2009

Twilight Zone

This week is a steroid week. I actually fooled myself into thinking "this week isn't too bad..."

I was wrong.

Today, in the middle of Fred Meyer, my normally decently behaved 4 year old decided that "I NEVER GET ANY TOYS...never, Never, NEVER!" And just in case someone over in the produce section didn't hear him, he repeated this proclamation every 20 seconds or so for the duration of our time in the checkout line.

My daughter, who never wants to be left out of the fun, decided that she could squeal louder than Alex could lament, causing the ground beneath my feet to quake. I quickly looked around to make sure we were not going to be hit by glass shards if the windows shattered under the pitch of my daughter's delight.

I held strong, I held true. I did not give in and buy the source of all this drama - a $1.00 matchbox car.

The checkout guy wouldn't even make eye contact with me. I know I saw him roll his eyes as I returned my credit card to the well worn spot in my wallet.

Now that Alex looks like he has a real short buzz cut, instead of looking like a cancer patient, the reason for his behaviour is no longer obvious to the judgemental shoppers burning scornful holes in the back of my head.

I just wanted to scream: "My son is battling cancer - and he is acting out due to the medicine he takes to save his life. PLEASE give me and my kids a break! I AM a good mother, I DO discipline my children, I DO set limits - which is why we are all subjected to this symphony of wailing to begin with!"

Once I rolled the shopping cart out of the store, I felt this calm rush over me, and I looked at my two kids and they were calm.

Did I imagine the whole thing?

Alex was smiling, and Tessa-Lynn was quietly watching the cars through the parking lot. I would love to get my hands on the security tape for that moment. I want to see the demon that possessed my son, leave his body and return to the toy aisle, where it will wait for the next Mommy to stumble into the Twilight Zone.

6 comments:

  1. I love he narration, but feel for the mother. I also feel for the children. What I am wondering is why my children did the same thing without cancer. One of mine did one better with "Mommy don't break my arm" he was 2. How do we live throught it. Love you guys and you do have wonderful kids. Aunt Debba

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, boy, have I been there! In think you are right about the hair though. People would be more forgiving and maybe even offer to buy that car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! A big eye opener - when we see kids acting out or misbehaving horribly in public, we have no insight as to whether it's because of bad parenting, or because of something like what you are enduring. I've always been very tolerant anyway, but this sure drives it home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Joni. I am guilty of jumping to a conclusions and now I should understand that the cover doesn't always tell the story.
    Even though it was nasty crazy for you, thank you for sharing the story and giving me an insight and a chance for a growth experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most parents know that's normal behavior, and it's Fred Meyers besides - I've seen far worse in my own kids.

    Meanwhile, the $1.00 car is an awesome thing to spend one's 4 quarters (one for each year) allowance on - I know that's what my 4 year old does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I'm the guilty one: I get Alex a toy every time he's gone with me to Freddie's. So, I've spoiled him - grandma's do that, but I'll try to say no more often. At least once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete