Thursday, December 4, 2008

Energy

Wow, this morning Alex literally "jumped" out of bed, and was in the best mood! His cheeks are getting so round, he just reminded me of a cartoon character .

He bounded up the stairs, got out the eggs, and told us that "I can't eat my eggs until I take my icky medicine". Eric mixed it up, and while we had to hold him down a bit, it got a lot easier. Our trick is this:

Grind Prednisone pill - mix with mango sherbet
Put on toddler spoon, and place in freezer until it is stiff
Get bucket (in case he throws up)
Get glass of water
Get Scooby Doo fruit snacks (essentially gummy bears)
Eric holds Alex's hands, feet, and head
I hold Alex's nose
Alex opens up
I shove in spoon
I remove spoon quickly
Give water immediately
Follow with fruit snacks

I can't wait to be done with the Prednisone!

Alex is watching Wall-E right now - snacking on some cheese sticks - after eating 3 eggs, 4 sausage links, and part of my egg white & cheese sandwich...and singing the Peter Gabriel song from the credits of the movie "We're going down to the ground...there's no better place to go - we've got snow on the mountains and rivers down below..."

Today is Alex's Chemo appointment, so I am enjoying his goofy, funny personality this morning, as this afternoon, he'll be lethargic and cranky, and nauseous. I'll take every moment, good or bad. He's amazing in his strength and acceptance of our new "normal". We have so much to learn from him!

5 comments:

  1. I am glad he's taking his meds a bit easier! Chandler is addicted to Wall-E, it's in the car and he asks for it every time. LOL. I am glad you have had a good morning with some energy. We'll see him soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Alex is amazing....he has amazing examples in you and Eric. Best, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, finally caught up on Alex! Last week was a very busy week.
    I'm so happy that you figured out a trick for the Prednisone... every time I would read about that in your earlier blogs, I was always sad to hear about a "failed attempt". I'm glad he had an energetic day, and I pray he has more days like that through this treatment. Hope Thanksgiving was good for you, and I hope this month is even better, not just because of Christmas, of course.

    I love you all, and Alex, KEEP IT UP BIG GUY!

    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think about you everyday and have you in our hearts. We haven't put in any comments yet because we just don't know what to say. We don't want you to think that we are not thinking of all of you, because we are. Alex sounds like such an amazing child, so very strong. And for the parents, I couldn't even imagine. It sounds like you being strong is helping him be strong. Wow the medicine idea was a good one! You are in our hearts and prayers.

    Love,
    Jesse, Katie, and JR Burns

    ReplyDelete