Thursday, December 11, 2008

Yes Alex's Family, there is a Santa Claus


I got a great telephone call this morning.

Humana has accepted our "exception request" for Doerenbecher Hospital from Dec 9 - 31st. They also are accepting Alex's initial stay at the hospital from 11/11 - 11/17. So, now all we need to do is file an "appeal" for the period of 11/18 - 12/8. That appeal will be filed today! Starting 1/1/2009, Anthem Blue Cross will be covering Doerenbecher - so, at least this "battle" will be over, and we can continue to focus on Alex's care.

Today, we have two appointments - the first is his "pre-op" appointment for his Port that he is getting on Tuesday - the second appointment is for his spinal tap to give him the Methotrexate. He is on a break from the Donorubicin and Vincristine this week. But since he is getting the spinal tap, he can't have anything to eat after 9:30 this morning - and the spinal tap isn't until 3:30 this afternoon - yikes! - Also, he has to take his Prednisone on an empty stomach...and we mix it in frozen mango sherbet --- haven't quite figured out the logistics on this one yet...

In order to "prepare" for not being able to eat later, Alex has had 4 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, 2 sausages, some of my egg/cheese/sausage sandwich, and now a quesadilla...

My mom is going to watch Tessa today, while I try and keep Alex away from all food for 7 hours! Wish me luck...

5 comments:

  1. That is FANTASTIC news about the insurance exception! What a relief!! I've been thinking about you guys constantly since we talked about it. So...YAY!

    I hope today goes well, and the prednisone made it down okay. I'll give you a call sometime soon (on NOT such a busy day)!

    Much love and lots of hugs to you all!
    xoxo
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling so relieved right now, as you are, I am sure. I have been focusing good thoughts about the situation, in hopes that all would be good. Merry Christmas!!! Good luck with all that the day brings. Hopefully we will be able to see you in 9 days, and counting. :)
    Hugs and love to all of you,
    Taegen
    Here's a through the computer HIGH 5 to Alex!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!! Huge burden off your shoulders! I am so happy for you. I know Doernbecher is the only logical choice in this city. I am glad you got everyone else to see that too!

    Big Hugs and Kisses from our family to yours.

    Hope all went well on the hunger management today!

    Love Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that Santa came through and helped get those medical costs covered! What a relief that must be. I loved seeing the picture of the kiddo's. Alex looks happy and spunky as ever : )

    Much love to you all....

    Carol Agidius
    Owen's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's huge! I am so glad your prayers have been answered! I hope he's healthy enough to maybe do Santa next week-tentative plan at least. HUGE HUGS and we are still praying for you guys.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete