Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Frustration

We have been dealing with a lot of discipline issues with Alex lately. I know it's because he is bored, not in a routine, and for this week, he doesn't even have a regular doctors appointment until Friday...

The other day, he told me "I can't get a time out - because I have a PORT". We told him that even though he has a PORT, he needs to listen, not wrestle with his sister, not throw pillows, not slam doors (take your pick...)

This is the hard part - we want him to grow up and be a responsible, empathetic, courteous, and strong man, yet he is angry and frustrated, and so much of this comes from a situation that none of us have control over.

I hope that when January comes, as long as all of Alex's classmates have had all their immunizations, he will be able to go back to school - and we can get some normalcy back into his routine, and give him some structure.

Well, Alex and I are going to go play in the snow - Grandpa Jim, Eric and Tessa-Lynn are out doing some last minute shopping - so we have some Mommy/Son time.

2 comments:

  1. Sara,
    It was great to "meet" you tonight. Didn't you say he just finished steroids? This is typical steroid behavior. No worries, you'll get your angel back next week. Thanks for teaching me about lymphoma.

    After Eli was diagnosed, I took 3 months off of work. The first advice call I took when I came back was a father complaining that his son's stork bite (birthmark) was more red that evening. It took everything I had to not lose it right there on the phone. A cancer diagnosis changes everything, in an instant.

    I enjoyed our conversation, you made my day! It really is a small world. I haven't met any other cancer parents through my work. I'm so glad you called.
    Launi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara amd Eric,
    Terry, my mom, and I were jsut talking about this topic. It must be so hard to do restrictions and discipline woth Alex right now. This whole thing just sucks. Hopefully all the love and amazing parts of Alex will triumph over the frustration. We have been thinking about you guys. We hope that you had a super duper Christmas. We miss you!! And I will keep my fingers crossed that he can return to school soon. I know you need it as much as Alex does!
    Hugs to all, Taegen

    ReplyDelete