Friday, December 12, 2008

Operation Cue-Ball


Well, it finally happened...last night I noticed hair in my hand as I ran my hand through Alex's hair...So, we did it - Alex and Eric shaved their heads last night. And true to my word, I shaved my legs (smile)...If anyone else wants to shave their heads in solidarity with Alex, I would love to see a picture!

Wow, it really hit me when I was shaving Alex's head - he has Cancer - I've known it, but even as he swelled up from the Prednisone steroids, I was able to sort of deny what was happening. But now, I am reminded every time I see him that he is in a battle for his life - and I feel helpless.

In this picture, you can see his PICC line, which will be removed next week. We spent the entire day at the hospital yesterday, preparing for next week. Wouldn't you know it, that yesterday, Doerenbecher was giving away free cupcakes and cookies on *every* floor. So, keeping poor Alex away from food from 11 am to 2:30 pm was quite a challenge!

We took a Tram ride up and down the hill, and then went ornament shopping at the gift shop while we waited in-between appointments.

Alex got an X-ray yesterday, and it should be confirming what the doctors suspect - that he is in remission - we will get the final word on that next week. Again, remission just means that they cannot detect the tumor anymore. The next 23 months will be about hitting any remaining cancer cells as hard as possible to completely eliminate the cancer.

Yesterday was the official end of phase one "Induction" - the best news - NO MORE PREDNISONE! He took his last dose in some chocolate ice cream after his lumbar puncture yesterday afternoon. I'm so proud of him! The next phase is 8 weeks, and is called "Consolidation".

Alex' counts were up at 5500 - and this morning, he got a runny nose (which explains his high ANC numbers). So, we are keeping a close eye on him and his temperature.

Next week, we'll get more information on the new round of Chemo drugs, and his new appointment schedule.

Stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like 2 boys getting ready to make some trouble. :) Glad to hear things to going well with his treatment and the insurance. It was good to talk with you guys last week and we are keeping you in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. End of induction + No more prednisone + hopeful remission = WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! Yay for all the small victories along this journey!!

    I'll talk to you soon!
    Erin

    P.S. Your boys are still good-lookin' after operation cueball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The men of the family look great!
    I'll shave my legs, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look like nothing but trouble!! :) I agree with all of the above. I cuold see Eric and Alex rockin' a Harley together. Positive thoughts...
    Taegen

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will show my solidarity by also shaving my legs.
    Love Grammie Gale

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey you guys, it,s martha! ive been thinking about you alot and have been praying for you! i also asked my church prayer group to pray for you! not only for alex but for you two! it takes alot of strength to be in your position! unfortunately i see it way too often at work! but you guys are gonna make it through, there is great power in prayer and positive thinking! keep up the great work! love always, the back family

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with the other posts. They look like they are ready for some Tats and head Bandanas.

    Ride, Wild Hogs, Ride.

    Warm thoughts and well wishes to all of you.

    ReplyDelete