Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Playing Hospital

Last night, Alex and I were playing downstairs in his room before bedtime. We got out his doctor kit, and "Steve", the bear he got in the hospital who has a PICC line. Alex was putting on his gloves, and getting an alcohol wipe to clean the bear's PICC line, and I asked him "doctor, are you ready for the medicine?" - he looked at me, took the empty syringe, and said "doctor mommy, this is not medicine, it's the Heprin Flush" - I smiled, and then felt sad. My 3 1/2 year old understands more about medicine, and medical procedures than he should. While I am amazed at his retention and understanding of what is happening, the fact that he is exposed to this information just breaks my heart.

We played for about 45 minutes, putting in medicine, taking on and off bandages, and inserting a PORT. He talked a lot about the procedures "Steve, now this going to be a poke - but it isn't going to hurt", "Steve, this is icky medicine, but you have to take it", "Steve, this is the Heprin Flush, it isn't medicine, and it isn't going to hurt". This is how he is processing all of this - and I'm proud of him.

Just when I am amazed at his maturity, he tells me this:
"Mommy, this is the Heprin Flush, it goes in his PICC line, goes inside, and turns into icky medicine, goes into his nose, then shoots out, and turns into boogers" - I just cracked up - he's a 3 1/2 year old boy - and that's a 3 1/2 year old boy's imagination at work!

2 comments:

  1. The silver lining of this is he hasn't been robbed of all his innocents; boogers.. that kid comes up with some great lines!!!! Got to love him. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, hes like his Daddy

    ReplyDelete