Sunday, June 5, 2011

You Lied...

Alex has been very vocal about his concern about pulling the chest tube out. I was told that the surgeons would give him Atavan, morphine, and oxycodon before they attempted the procedure. I was very clear when I asked the surgeons if it would hurt. I was reasured that if it hurt at all, it would be for just a second, and that with the pain medication, and the anti-anxiety meds would keep Alex very comfortable.

So, when Alex asked me more than twenty times, if it would hurt, I told him that the doctors told me that he wouldn't hurt for long, if at all. We have always been honest with him, and I felt I was giving him a reasonable explination of what would happen.

I made the surgeons wait while I took off Alex's dressing. Then, I crawled in the bed with him, to help hold him on his side, and reasure him, that it would all be over quickly.

Then the surgeon pulled on the stitches, told Alex to hold his breath, and yanked out the chest tube. Alex tightened in my arms, and them let out a sob. It really hurt. He looked at me and said "you lied!"

My heart sank, and I held my boy, while he cried. Tessa was visiting at the time, and she came over to give him a hug. She knows something was hurting her brother, and she just stood there, quietly huging onto my leg (the closest she could get to him at the time). It was a sweet moment, tempered by Alex's tears. After a while, he felt a bit better, and wanted to go to the cafeteria now that he was free from his tether.

2 comments:

  1. Poor thing.... I wish doctors had to go through those procedures so they'd REALLY know how bad it hurts. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh! My heart breaks for that little boy and you all! I couldn't imagine hearing that from him. What a brave & strong boy!!! Welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete