Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day +16

Alex is doing great. We haven't had a nose bleed today, so far - which is a first in quite a while. The doctors are holding off giving any additional transfusions unless he really needs them. So, far today, no red blood cells or platelets are ordered.

Taking pills are still really hard, and Alex threw up one this morning. His gut just hasn't had to work for two weeks, and is rejecting anything going down. He did take some swallows of soda last night... although nothing today...yet.

His bottom is feeling better, and his fever has stayed away. No word on a definitive release date yet, we are just waiting for his counts to start coming up.

We are having been butting heads over routine, which is such a hard thing to keep to here in the hospital. I worry so much about him not keeping up with school, and then being discouraged when he finally can  to go back.

We are working on getting the house ready for Alex to come home...hopefully sometime next week (gulp!) I have a lot of things I wanted to do, and the days just slipped on by...

This weekend is the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Light the Night Walk. Alex and Eric will watch it from here in the hospital, and I will walk with our team. I have been told that we will be leading the walk this year, and will be starting the walk with Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down" song... Alex's Battle Cry.

Here are the lyrics...

Songwriters: Petty, Tom/Lynne, Jeff

Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
You could stand me up at the gate of hell
But I won't back down

Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I"ll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down

Sing it loud as we start the walk... I will be!

Remember, it is not too late to donate...
Click Here to donate to our team!


2 comments:

  1. Sara, I added a kindergarten and a first grade education app o the iPhone.b have you checked it out? If it is a lousy app, maybe you bould find some better ones and we could get them added to the iPhone. Just look on iTunes and let me know if you find something that you think would work better. We could sneak education in. You could overnight to me and I could overnight it back. let me know.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear Alex is doing so well!!! You all continue to remain in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete