Monday, September 19, 2011

Day +6

Last night was awful... Alex has six pumps, directing all sorts of medication and nutrients into his body. Each one of these pumps decided to go into Alarm Mode at different times, *all*night*long*. If the windows opened, in this room, and the pole wasn't attached to Alex, It would be a twisted piece of metal and electronics by now.

The night nurse on duty, would come in, hit "reset", and then leave - and two minutes later, that pump, or another would go off. Needless to say, neither Alex or I got much sleep last night.

Finally at, 3:30 this morning, Alex had had enough, and was wide awake. His new Dr. Who graphic novel kept him occupied for a while, and then, I relented, and the Disney channel was activated.

I tried to sleep, but obnoxious young people, who CANNOT act, kept invading my dreams...

Alex had decent energy this morning, even after vomiting while trying to take his morning pill (the liquid form still hasn't found it's way into his mouth yet). We played games, and even got him unhooked from his MMDD long enough to take a shower.

After changing his Hickman line dressing, he settled down in bed, and I ran downstairs to the cafeteria for some lunch. When I returned (after a great phone conversation with my sister), Alex was asleep. That was at 1pm. It is now almost 4:30, and Alex is still out cold.



I had a long conversation with his hospital teacher, and am *very* pleased with her plan for him. I appreciate her style, and she appreciated my input. I think we will make a great education team.

I am so proud of our boy...he is so strong, and all the doctors are amazed that he is not asking for any pain medication for the mouth sores. That may change, but for now, he is just toughing it out. Since he wants needs to have something to control, we are letting him decide whether or not he wants pain medication, and so far, he doesn't.

He will probably need platelets tomorrow, and maybe blood too...we will see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like such a tough night. I'm sorry that you didn't get much sleep. At least Alex got some sort of sleep though later on. He is so brave and so strong! Oh, and I feel with you: some of those BAD young actors give me nightmares as well ;). Please tell Alex, I said hi!
    Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! with everything considered it sounds as though you all are coming through this like the true Wilkison camps that you are!! You all get an A+. It's clear that the force is with you....battle on young strong warrior Alex!!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete