Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day Minus 3

Alex woke up in a good mood today - no pain, no nausea. He ordered breakfast, and with the threat of a feeding tube, or TPN (nutrition through his central line), he decided to eat half of an English Muffin and another one of the Ensure apple drinks.

The Cytoxan poison (the Mustard Gas derivative) was started at 9am this morning, and ran for an hour. He is on continuous fluids, and a medication that helps protect his bladder from the potential for the Chemo to cause bladder cancer. I expected nausea, but he is doing well. The nurses are monitoring his fluid input and output to make sure that his bladder is adequately protected. This means peeing every two hours for the next two days. Sleep, well - I'm learning it is overrated...

Lunch has proven to be a bigger success, with Doritos, and a ham sandwich. Every bite is a victory, although I know Alex is already annoyed at my constant catch phrase..."eat...eat...just take a bite, and I will leave you alone...eat!"

Alex's Chemo Pal should be up here shortly, I expect much chaos, and laughter to follow - it does my heart good to hear the laughter - it really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment