Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Flunking Counts

Today Alex had a Chemo appointment, instead of going to school.

Well, he flunked his counts - which means, no chemo today. His ANC was only 300, which means we need to be extra diligent about fevers. While his ANC was too low for chemo, his platelets and hemoglobin were not low enough to need a transfusion - but they were close...

I talked to the doctor about the rash on Alex's legs from last week. She looked at it, and said that she was not sure if the rash was from the PEG Asparaganaise, or from the sunscreen, or from something else...? So, the next time his is due for those shots, they will have all the emergency gear right there so if he has an alergic reaction - they can take care of it right away (I can't think about it too much, or I'll never get to sleep).

So, we will return on Friday to check Alex's counts. If they are high enough, he'll get the Vincristine and Methotrexate at the dose he got last time. He won't get the higher dose, because his counts were low enough at this current dose. If his counts are still too low on Friday, he'll get just the Vincristine, and they will skip the dose of Methotrexate all together. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Dr. Stork told me that it was not all that uncommon for kids to miss this last dose on the treatment road map. But I still don't like it...

His color is pale, and he is bruising much easier now - I hope he doesn't need a transfusion on Friday.


1 comment:

  1. Well, shoot! I hope the rash doesn't come back and that his counts come back up without the transfusion. Rashes are always so hard to figure out even in kids who aren't taking all the meds Alex is...I can only imagine what you must go through every time he has some seemingly random symptom pop up! Hang in there...and I LOVE Alex's new battle face by the way. So perfect! Hugs from us!!

    ReplyDelete