Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hope

Hope. What a great word. It is a universal feeling, and something I have been struggling with the last few days. 

Until this evening.

This evening we met a woman named Hope. She had sent us a note saying she was going to participate in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training Fundraiser, and wanted to meet Alex. While researching blood cancers, she came across the post about Alex on the American Red Cross Blog, and was so touched by his story, that she wanted to feature Alex in her fundraising efforts.

We met with her tonight for coffee, and then dinner in downtown. It was a beautiful evening, and we enjoyed strolling down the street from the coffee shop to the restaurant. While Alex was shy at first, he really hit it off with Hope, and I think she really liked him too. She's a really great woman, and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening with her. 

Hope didn't have a direct connection to Lymphoma before. She does now. We are honored that she wants to run and raise this money for blood cancer research. It sure would be great if Alex's generation was the last to fight this terrible disease.

We have received so much love and support from so many people. We can now add Hope to that list. I sure like the sound of that!


2 comments:

  1. Sara- you and your family are so amazing. I am looking forward to spending more time with everyone and playing pirates some more with Alex (that was good times!). ;) I will be in touch with some ideas the 2nd week of May. Thanks again for allowing me to join this fight!- Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope,
    I really want to participate more in Alex's efforts, and I am hoping you can explain what it means by sponsoring Alex. Is it just donating blood or is there a direct connection to Alex? I am sorry if this all sounds amateur, but I haven't (fortunately) had this much direct contact with cancer, so I am new and am still trying to understand what, when, and where I can help Alex and others.

    ReplyDelete