Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thoughts on Alex's Birthday

I've been having difficulty writing about Alex's birthday. It was a great day, and one that I will always remember. I'm hoping it is also the first one in a very long line of birthdays that he remembers. He tells me "Mom, that was the best birthday in the whole world". Yes Alex, it was.

I have been wrestling with what is holding me back about writing about it.  A few weeks ago, I saw a commercial for the American Cancer Society . Their new add campaign is great:

"A world without cancer is a world with more birthdays". What a brilliant campaign. It also brings me to almost sobbing tears every time I read it, or attempt to say it out loud. Why???

As a parent, I am constantly looking ahead, what to do next, what is on the schedule, and planning birthday parties. The very thought that we might not have made it to Alex's 4th birthday is overwhelming. If Eric and I hadn't been as concerned about Alex's strange breathing, or if his Pediatricians office hadn't been as diligent about finding an answer, Alex would have gone to sleep one night, and just not woken up. We were only a few days from that happening when he was diagnosed. The thought just tears me up inside.

I know that no one is guaranteed tomorrow, but I used to assume that Alex was going to have another birthday, and another, and another. I would look forward to the next birthday, with lists, and plans, and ideas on how to celebrate the big day. Now I too clearly understand that we are fighting for Alex's life, and we are fighting for those birthdays. I'll worry about planning the day when it gets close - for now, my focus is getting Alex to that birthday, and the next. 

As the American Cancer Society so eloquently puts it: "Happy Birthday is a victory song". 

I can't wait to sing it loud and clear to Alex every year for a VERY, VERY long time.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Sara that brings tears to my eyes thinking about it! I remember when we were counting to their 1st b-days and we/you were saying just 6 more saturdays left... Now we are counting Saturdays until Alex's treatment is over. You know we are praying for you guys all the time, and here's to *gulp* the 5th birthdays next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As hard of a time as I am having reading your post without feeling the tears, I can imagine how hard it was to write.
    We loved every moment we spent with Alex and the family on his birthday and feel very blessed you allowed us to share his 4th birthday with him.

    It was the best birthday, Alex!

    An extra big hug goes out to you Sara and give the kids a squeeze and kiss from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As tears stream down my face I can't help but tell you how much we love you! Sara, we love you.... We love Eric and we simply love and adore our fantastic grandchildren Alex and Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I work for the American Cancer Society and am proud to say that I am involved in the making of our "More Birthdays" campaign. As a mom and a cancer survivor, I can honestly say that as hard as it was to go through cancer diagnosis and treatment, it would be 500 times worse watching my child go through it.

    Thank you for your beautiful post and for your email letting us know about it. We are very touched by Alex's story and glad to know our new campaign resonnated with you. We are also grateful for your family's support of our Relay For Life event.

    I know you have your hands full right now, but if you haven't already, I hope you and your supporters will take a moment join our movement for more birthdays at http://www.morebirthdays.com. We're hoping to build a movement of millions so that people like you can celebrate many, many more happy times with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete