Friday, January 16, 2009

More Chemo Part 2

Yesterday morning, after we found out that Alex's counts were so low, we steeled ourselves for a tough day stuck in the room.

At 8am, breakfast came, but not as much as we had ordered (we wanted to stuff him full since he couldn't eat after 9am). Alex "really" wanted eggs, and they brought just the pancake. I talked to the nurse about keeping an eye on Alex so I could go down to the caffeteria and get Alex more food (2 elevator rides away). Then, I remembered that Eric had my wallet, and he wasn't back yet - ugh. Our nurse reminded me that we didn't have to pay for Alex's food, and gave me a sticker to give to the caffeteria. It was now 8:20. I rushed down to the caffeteria, and waited 10 minutes for the food (paperwork, paperwork, paperwork), then rushed back up to the room. It was now 8:45. I told Alex to eat as much as he could - and he did - he inhaled the eggs, and milk, and grape juice. At 9:05, he said he was done, and I took the plates of food away.

Eric arrived a few minutes later, after Grandma arrived at our house to watch Tessa-Lynn for the day. I went to go get my food down in the caffeteria, and wouldn't you know it, there was the extra food I had ordered Alex - it arrived at 9:00, so they didn't bring it in the room. It was sitting on a shelf right outside the door. So, I ate that breakfast, and all was right with the world for a few minutes.

We watched movies, and Alex took a nap. A massage therapist came in and gave me and Eric a 15 minute chair massage - yay! Funny, she said my upper back muscles were really tense - I wonder why?!?...

At 3pm, we took Alex to the procedure room, and the doctors did the LP. The doctors said they think Alex's numbers might fall again today - we can't go home until they start rebounding.

After the LP, Eric carried Alex back to the room, where he proceded to fall apart. He cried for about an hour - We think everything just caught up with him. Being stuck in the room, not playing with his friends, missing school, and not even being able to go to the playroom. It was awful.

Alex fell asleep from sheer exhaustion after that. Eric encouraged me to go home and play with Tessa-Lynn for the night, and sleep in our bed. It really helped. Seeing Tessa-Lynn's big grin when I walked through the door really helped. She is such a jolly baby girl, and brings such joy to everyone she sees.

She is still asleep, sort of snoring/moaning - it's such a sweet sound! After she wakes up, I'm going to run a few errands with her, and then bring her to Grandma Diana's house for the day.

Eric just called, and the lab numbers aren't back yet, so we don't know if his ANC went up or down - we'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment