Friday, May 27, 2011

After Surgery

We waited an additional 4 hours, in 1/2 hour increments for Alex to have his surgery. We walked with him down to the operating room, and then kissed him good bye.

Then, Eric and I walked hand in hand down the hallway, and started our wait. At 6:45, the nurses called us back to see our brave boy.

I was not expecting the "gurgling" of the chest tube machine, or the amount of red liquid in the tube. I don't know what I thought it would look like, but it is quite, big, and loud. It is a "sealed" system, so that water pumps in, and back out of his chest, to flush out the "stuff" left over from surgery.

The nurses are currently hooking up a morphine machine, so that Alex can request a dose every 10 minutes, as needed.

The doctors said they removed a hard round mass from his lung (about the size of a marble), and that the rest of his lung looked great.

Since it is a Friday night, of a three day weekend, we don't expect to get results back until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am heading home to spend the evening, and tomorrow with Tessa. Eric will stay here with Alex, and make sure that he is as comfortable as he can be with a new incision, and tube coming out of his right side.

Thanks for all the love and support. We will keep you all updated on his condition.

6 comments:

  1. Whew! Glad to hear he did good. The family sends well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy and relieved that everything went well this afternoon.... I, too, kept looking for news all day and am just so very happy tonight. We're sending you love and hugs and good wishes that you'll all be home together again very soon!
    Charlie, Tracy and the boys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very relieved and breathed a sigh of relief. Thank you for the update. XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear everything went well. Thank You for telling everyone. Love and prayers. From Dede

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear, Sara... Still praying. Hugs to Tessa, too, as you spend time with your little girl. Cousin hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sara. I am sorry I wanted to send you a private message but I can't find you through facebook or otherwise. This is Mariah Bradford. I just learned about Alex through a post by Jennifer LaTour Baker. I have three kids of my own (7, 5, and 2) and when I read your posts and the words of your sweet, brave boy I just wept and wept. I will think of him and you many, many times and pray for him continually until I read the wonderful news that he is completely cured.

    ReplyDelete