Monday, May 9, 2011

It's Deja Vu All Over Again

Today, we head back up to Doerenbecher, with numbing cream on Alex's new Port. We will park at the bottom of the hill, and ride the tram up, remembering to get our parking ticket validated.

Alex has asked if he can sit in the stroller - just like he did those first few months, with his prior diagnosis.

We will walk the maze of the OHSU campus, and arrive at the clinic. We will check in, sit down, watch a movie while we wait to be called.

Once we walk through the double doors, Alex will be weighed, measured, have his blood pressure checked, and his temperature taken. The CNA will ask if anything hurts today. Alex will answer his left leg. The CNA will note it in his chart, and we will be sent to a room. The nurses will then access his Port, we will anxiously wait for the blood counts, and possibly stay for a transfusion of hemoglobin, and/or platelets. The doctor will come in, talk to us about his treatment plan. I will ask for a copy of the "road map" of his treatment. If chemo is due, we will go into the play room, and find a video game to play, and zone out for a while.

Once we finish with the clinic, we will then go to the cafeteria, eat something (it's Monday, so most likely, taco salad). After depositing our waste in either the compost, recycle, or trash bins, we will navigate the halls back to the tram, and descend to the bottom of the hill.

We will go down the elevator, to level P1 or P2, and wander to our car. As we exit, I will hand my validated ticket to the attendant, who will raise the bar, so we can exit. I will say "thank you", and we will drive home...preparing to do this again on Wednesday...

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that the familiarity helps Alex not to be afraid, but I hate that it is so familiar to you all. I hate that this is your "normal" again. :( Sending you love and a reminder that I am here if you need a friend...you know, to go smack a punching bag with, or share a cup of overpriced coffee and some laughs to remind you that he WILL get through this again. You all will. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a great flood of emotions that go through me when reading this. I'm so sorry for you and at the same time so comforted that you are in the routine. I know that makes sense in only the weirdest way but I also know you understand it. My tears flow for you.

    -Scott (Rebekah's Daddy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erin & Scott--I hate that you know this routine so well and are having to do it all again. *hugs*
    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you is the only thing I can say that makes sense to me... I love you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will get the chills when I read your update today. Then I will tear up. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete