Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Very Long Night and Day

Today has been a bit of a fog...you see, I only got one and a half hours of sleep last night.

Around 10pm, Alex finally received all his chemo for the night. Soon after, the nurse started checking on him, and she noticed that his heart rate was low (under 60), and that his blood pressure range was really large (92/29). His temperature dropped to 96 degrees, and yet he complained that he was hot.

I was just standing there...there was nothing for me to do, so I crawled in bed next to Alex, and just tried to provide body heat, and comfort.

After doctors, and even the Head Nurse of the ICU came in to consult, everyone took, and wait and watch attitude. He looked a lot better than the numbers, so everyone was stumped (and still is)

About 5am, I was ready to crawl into my bed, and by 5:30am I was out, and so was Alex.

Morning came very quickly, and by 10am, Alex had seen all the doctors, had an EKG (which came back fine), and a chest X-Ray (no pneumonia, or masses). Alex was wired up and miserable about it. His vitals settled down during the morning, and he was freed from many of the wires. He also received another unit of whole blood this afternoon.

We had various visitors throughout the day, which is always nice, and the nurses agreed that while Alex was awake, they could "unplug" him from almost everything, except the saline drip. Now that we are ready for bed, they will hook him up to the machines, and monitor him all night.

More steroids today - Alex's face is starting to get really puffy again. It is so hard reliving this again - but not knowing the plan just tears me up.

We are just waiting, and waiting for the chromosome tests to determine which path we take. We are hoping to rule out a relapse, since Alex had T-cell lymphoma and now has Acute Pre-B Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Pre-B: ALL). A non-relapse would increase his odds of survival significantly.

Eric is home with our sweet daughter. I can only hope that we can all be together as a family sometime soon.

Still pinching, and hoping this is all a horrible dream...someone please wake me up.

6 comments:

  1. :( I keep thinking this all has to be some kind of nightmare that we all need to wake up from. It's the worst kind of deja vu. Nothing about this is okay, but I feel hopeful that he can battle through and beat this once and for all. And for the rest of his long life, he can tell everyone he meets the story of how he beat cancer not just once, but TWICE!! Love you! Hoping for an uneventful, restful night for you all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are with you and your family... Alex sounds like such a sweet child, and such a blessing. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only think about the future. Alex in 10 years sitting around a campfire at a family campout roasting marshmallows. He is talking about the old days when he had to endure Cancer treatment and planning for the future of going to college. And probably talking about a girlfriend.. lol....
    XXOO
    Grammie Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been quiet because every time I come here the tears well up in my eyes. I want Alex to be better, I want to see the love, laughter and twinkle in both Alex's and Tessa's eyes and the enviable smiles as pictures are posted of how much they love each other and their mom and dad. Those are the days that are going to come and warm all our hearts.
    Kiss that wonderful little boy for us and tell him he is greatly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.

    The Schecter Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs to you all from one (a)Mom to another.

    ReplyDelete